MIPS - Start by October 2 & submit 90 days data to earn 0 or + payment adjustment.
You’re a part of the Quality Payment Program in 2017 if you are:
-In an Advanced APM
-Bill Medicare Part B more than $30,000 in allowed charges AND provide care for more than 100 Medicare patients.
*If you are below either, you are not in the program.*
Start before October 2, 2017 and report your performance data by March 31, 2018. You can also begin participating in an Advanced APM.
The first payment adjustments based on performance go into effect on January 1, 2019.
Watch YouTube- Understanding Medicare MIPS (Merit-based Incentive Payment System)
Pick Your Pace in MIPS
- Not Participate (negative 4% payment adjustment) – Not submitting any 2017 data.
- Test (avoid negative payment adjustment) – Submit data for 1 quality measure, OR 1 improvement activity, OR all base score ACI measures.
- Partial Participation (possible neutral or small positive payment adjustment) – Submit at least 90 days of data for more than one quality measure, OR more than one improvement activity, OR all base + some performance score ACI measures.
- Full Participation (possible moderate positive payment adjustment) – Submit a full year of 2017 data for all required quality measures, AND all required improvement activities, AND all base + some performance score ACI measures.
- Advanced Alternative Payment Model - Eligible clinicians will receive a 5% bonus if they receive 25% of Medicare Part B payments, OR see 20% of patients through the AAPM.
Quality Measures (Replaces the Physician Quality Reporting System (PQRS))
Review and select measures that best fit your practice. Most participants: Report up to 6 quality measures, including an outcome measure, for a minimum of 90 days.
If an outcome measure is not available that is applicable to your specialty or practice, chose another high priority measure.
ehrTHOMAS has 15 certified clinical quality measures to choose from for 2017.
ehrTHOMAS only supports individual EC reporting.
We encourage you to explore the use of CMS - Approved Qualified Registries or CMS - Approved Qualified Clinical Data Registries for measures beyond our certification.
- CMS69: Preventive Care and Screening: Body Mass Index (BMI) Screening and Follow-Up Plan
- CMS117: Childhood Immunization Status
- CMS122: Diabetes: Hemoglobin A1c Poor Control
- CMS123: Diabetes: Foot Exam
- CMS125: Breast Cancer Screening
- CMS127: Pneumonia Vaccination Status for Older Adults
- CMS130: Colorectal Cancer Screening
- CMS138: Preventive Care and Screening: Tobacco Use: Screening and Cessation Intervention
- CMS139: Falls: Screening for Future Fall Risk
- CMS147: Preventive Care and Screening: Influenza Immunization
- CMS155: Weight Assessment and Counseling for Nutrition and Physical Activity for Children and Adolescents
- CMS156: Use of High-Risk Medications in the Elderly
- CMS163: Diabetes: Low Density Lipoprotein (LDL) Management
- CMS165: Controlling High Blood Pressure
- CMS182: Ischemic Vascular Disease (IVD): Complete Lipid Panel and LDL Control
Medicaid MU & MIPS
The Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) applies to clinicians providing services under Medicare Part B.
MIPS does not replace the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program, which will continue through program year 2021.
Clinicians who are eligible for the Medicaid EHR Incentive Program will continue to attest to their respective
State Medicaid Agencies to receive their incentive payments. If those clinicians are also Medicare Part B clinicians,
they may also participate in MIPS.
Medicaid EHR Incentive Program:
EPs that attest directly to a state for the state’s Medicaid EHR Incentive Program will continue to attest to the measures and objectives as finalized in the 2015 EHR Incentive Programs Final Rule.
Note for Medicaid Eligible Professionals: Some states have not yet opened their Medicaid EHR Incentive Programs, Eligible Professionals will not be able to register for a Medicaid EHR Incentive Program until their state's program has launched and that state's site has opened.
Information on when registration will be available for specific states is posted at Medicaid State Information.
Medicaid MU 2017 Changes to Specific Objectives:
- For all returning participants and all new participants, the EHR reporting period is a minimum of any continuous 90-days between January 1 and December 31, 2017.
- Objective 8, Measure 2, Patient Electronic Access: For an EHR reporting period in 2017, more than 5 percent of unique patients seen by the EP during the EHR reporting period (or his or her authorized representatives) view, download or transmit to a third party their health information during the EHR reporting period.
- Objective 9, Secure Messaging (EPs only): For an EHR reporting period in 2017, for more than 5 percent of unique patients seen by the EP during the EHR reporting period, a secure message was sent using the electronic messaging function of CEHRT to the patient (or the patient-authorized representative), or in response to a secure message sent by the patient (or the patient-authorized representative) during the EHR reporting period.
- For Returning Participants (MU Only), CQMs must be reported for a full year.
- For the 2017 EHR reporting period, the attestation deadline is February 28, 2018.
Watch YouTube - How to Meet Medicaid Meaningful Use Measures for 2017 in ehrTHOMAS
Genius YouTube - Watch ehrTHOMAS Modified Stage 2 Meaningful Use Guide
Genius YouTube - Watch Physician Quality Reporting System (PQRS) & Clinical Quality Measures (CQMs) Guide
Genius YouTube - Watch ehrTHOMAS and Microsoft HealthVault Guide
YouTube - ehrTHOMAS and ICD-10
ehrTHOMAS ICD-10 Document
Genius ICD-10 Resources
eTHOMAS ICD-10 Resources
Click here to visit Genius Solutions ehrTHOMAS info page
DrFirst - Single_Patient_Mode_Training_Manual
DrFirst - EPCS_On-Boarding_Manual22014
DrFirst - Patient_Advisor_Training_Manual_SPM
Interface - Participating Labs:
St. Mary Mercy Hospital Laboratory
DMC University Laboratories
Biotech Clinical Laboratories
Henry Ford Health System
Beaumont Health System (Beaumont/Oakwood)
Medical Diagnostic Laboratories (MDL)
Bako Integrated Physician Solutions
Miraca Life Sciences (Pathology)
St. John Providence Health System
St. Mary’s of Michigan
Ingalls Health System
McLaren Health Care
Genius Solutions Inc's, ehrTHOMAS, version 2.0 was certified on April 25, 2014 by ICSA Labs, an Office of the National Coordinator-Authorized Certification Body (ONC-ACB) and is compliant in accordance with applicable criteria adopted by the Secretary of Health and Human Services (HHS). Designating ehrTHOMAS, version 2.0 as a certified ONC HIT 2014 Edition Complete EHR, indicates that the software is capable of supporting eligible providers in meeting the Stage 1 and Stage 2 Meaningful Use measures required to qualify for funding under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA).
ehrTHOMAS, version 2.0's certification number is 140061R00. This Complete EHR is 2014 Edition compliant and has been certified by ICSA Labs in accordance with the applicable certification criteria adopted by the Secretary of Health and Human Services. This certification does not represent an endorsement by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
The clinical quality measures to which ehrTHOMAS version 2.0 has been certified include: CMS 69, CMS117, CMS122, CMS123, CMS125, CMS127, CMS130, CMS138, CMS139, CMS147, CMS155, CMS156, CMS163, CMS165, CMS182
The additional software relied upon to comply with one or more of the certification criteria include: DrFirst, Microsoft HealthVault, MedlinePlus Connect and Agnosco DICOM Viewer.
The additional types of costs that an eligible provider would pay to implement this Complete EHR's capabilities in order to attempt to meet meaningful use objectives and measures include: •Fixed cost - server upgrade where applicable •Fixed cost - integration fees for health information exchange where applicable
Limitations: •Direct messages can only be sent to HISPs that trust anchors have been exchanged with Genius Solutions HISP. •ehrTHOMAS 2014 Edition did not seek optional certification for Cancer Registry Reporting.
586-751-9080 (In Michigan)
800-645-0955 (Outside of Michigan)
For further contact information, visit www.geniussolutions.com